Epson recently announced its second generation Moverio “smart glasses” with a combination of new features geared to transform how consumers experience games, video entertainment and the world around them.
Sporting a sleek, light design, the Epson Moverio BT-200 is a true binocular display using a miniaturized LCD-based projection lens system and optical light guide in each side of the glasses. The Moverio platform’s advanced binocular optical system projects see-through overlays of digital content onto the real-world in the center of the smart glasses’ field of view. Enabling a seamless blend of the physical and digital world, the Moverio BT-200 technology platform makes a new world of augmented reality applications possible for consumers as well as commercial enterprises.
The Moverio BT-200 projects a stereoscopic virtual display with a 16:9 aspect ratio and a 23-degree field of view. A 360-degree panoramic experience is possible through third-party software that takes advantage of the glasses’ head-tracking features. For optimum viewing privacy, Moverio’s projection system features unique light guide angles which prevent other people from viewing the projected content.
The compact Moverio BT-200 delivers an impressive list of features for augmented reality and digital entertainment experiences, including:
● Bright, transparent display with 960 x 540 pixel (qHD) resolution
● Sensors (gyroscope, accelerometer and magnetic compass) enable head-motion
tracking for gaming and hands-free navigation
● A front-facing camera enables image and video capture as well as marker detection
for AR apps that give users relevant information related to the real-world
● A handheld controller unit powered by Android 4.0 provides a robust open-source
development environment and gives users access to a growing selection of augmented reality apps
● Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity offers a wireless way to enjoy streaming video content while an optional
wireless mirroring adapter enables streaming of high-definition video from content source devices with
HDMI connectivity such as DVD players, set-top boxes and more
● Native support of MP4 with H.264 plus AAC encoding allows high-definition video playback
● Bluetooth 3.0 support allow wireless connectivity to headsets, speakers, keyboards and other peripherals
● A MicroSD card slot supports up to 32GB of external memory, allowing users to view and enjoy personal
content like photos, videos and music even when wireless access is unavailable
● Dolby Digital Plus produces a full-body surround sound experience to complement the rich visual experience