The Adidas miCoach Smart Ball is a Bluetooth Smart and app-enabled soccer ball with integrated sensor technology for dead-ball kicking training such as penalties, free-kicks, shooting, corners, long passes or goal kicks. The Smart Ball relays data on how hard it has been struck, offers visual flight trajectories, depicts ball spin and shows impact points via the adidas miCoach Smart Ball app available for iPhone and iPod touch. This data can then be used to help train players, providing coaching instructions on how to alter kicking technique to bend free kicks, launch knuckle balls and generate more shot power.
If interested check out some of the other miCoach products from Adidas here.
The miCoach Smart Ball has a range of ways to help improve kicking skills, giving the ability and confidence to deliver when it matters most. The intuitive miCoach Smart Ball companion app offers a dedicated training section for users to focus on improving their skills with tutorials to help master progressively more advanced techniques, including the elusive 'knuckle ball'. A 'challenge yourself' section, which challenges you to kick the ball within a certain speed, bend around a wall or try to replicate pro level free kicks. There is also a 'record book' section to save and record all kicks to improve and track performance over time.
Challenge kicks are supported with social sharing functions. The adidas micCoach Smart Ball also features wireless charging capabilities and comes with a charging dock.
Speaking at the retail launch, Christian DiBenedetto, adidas senior innovation director said, "We're proud to bring the miCoach Smart Ball to soccer players around the world. There was a huge amount of interest in the concept when we first showcased the ball. The testing feedback from both amateur and professional athletes has been tremendous and we know users will love the engaging and instructional training this ball will bring to their game. It is another great example of the breakthrough innovation we bring to sports to make athletes better."
DiBenedetto continued, "The adidas miCoach Smart Ball is a personal training tool. Everything we do at adidas is about helping athletes perform at their highest level and the Smart Ball is designed to help players train and refine technique, allowing athletes to improve flair, skill, power and control."
● Integrated sensor inside the ball detects speed, spin, strike and flight path data and instantly relays kick data to the miCoach app on your Apple device running iOS 7 or higher via Bluetooth 4.0
● Companion app interprets and displays near real-time feedback on power, spin, strike and trajectory, and includes library of ball-mastery videos with drills, coaching tips and guidance to help improve ball touch and handling
● App features: Kick tips and training for power, bend and knuckle balls; Capture video with your kick to help perfect technique; Prove your ability with power and pro challenges; Track your progress in the Record Book; Share your best kicks with friends
● Ball feel and reaction is like a normal ball; Size 5 regulation weight, quality thermal bonded 32-panel ball with integrated sensor package; Requires inflation
● Battery life: approximately 2,000 kicks / one week; Charging time: approximately one hour; Package includes charging base and AC power plug
● Heat-welded die-cut TPU outer panels; TPU bladder