Apple has released a new Music Memos app for iOS to make it easier for songwriters to capture and organize new musical ideas.
Use your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to record acoustic guitar, piano, voice, or any musical instrument as high-quality, uncompressed audio. Then name, tag and rate your ideas to start building a library of all your favorite new song parts and riffs. Music Memos automatically detects your tempo, rhythmic feel and chords and lets you instantly hear your musical idea accompanied by a rhythm section with realistic drums and bass. View the chords you’ve played, add comments and lyrics, or share your recordings with friends or directly to Apple Music Connect*. And it’s easy to take your favorite ideas into GarageBand to add more instruments and continue building your song.
“Musicians around the world, from the biggest artists to aspiring students, use Apple devices to create amazing music; the innovative new Music Memos app will help them quickly capture their ideas on iPhone and iPad whenever inspiration strikes,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing.
Quickly Capture Musical Ideas
• Easily record any musical idea using a simple interface
• Instantly listen to your recorded song ideas with a virtual drummer and bass player, who follow along like a live band in the room
• Adjust the groove and sound of the drum or bass using simple and intuitive controls to hear your song idea in different ways
• Tune your guitar with a built-in instrument tuner
Build a Library of Song Ideas
• Name any song idea, or delete unwanted recordings
• Tag your song ideas to help you find them later using keywords like verse, chorus, mellow, energetic, or add your own custom tags
• Rate your song idea 1-5 stars to help you identify your favorites
• Supports iCloud Drive so your library of song ideas are always safe and available across all your iOS devices
View, Edit and Document Your Song Ideas
• Automatically analyzes the music you played and displays musical measures and suggested chord names
• Rename or provide further detail for any chord names throughout your song
• The drum and bass performances adapt immediately to match any chord and rhythm edits
• Trim away any unwanted parts from the beginning and end of your recording
• Keep track of comments, lyric ideas, alternate guitar tunings or capo position
Share Your New Song
• Use iCloud Drive to make your song ideas available across all your iOS devices
• Email any song idea to a friend to share your music, or to collaborate with other musicians
• Quickly open your idea in GarageBand for iOS to add more instruments and keep building your song
• Export a song idea to the Mac so you can work in GarageBand or Logic Pro X as a full multi-track production
• Share to SoundCloud, YouTube and Apple Music Connect*
“Sometimes ideas come faster than I can get them into my notebook so I've used Voice Memos and Notes to quickly capture songs before they're lost. Music Memos is like if those two apps came together to form some kind of superpower for songs,” said Ryan Adams, critically acclaimed singer-songwriter and producer. “It quite literally blew my mind how Music Memos could transform a single guitar idea into a whole composition with a virtual drummer loose enough that it felt like you were having your mind read by some A.I. musician and a choice of stand-up or electric bass accompaniments.”
You can download Music Memos from the App Store for free.