What's black and white and has lasers? The MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner! The MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner is a fast and easy way for anyone to create 3D models. MakerBot recently announced the availability of the MakerBot Digitizer on its website. The MakerBot Digitizer is for sale worldwide on makerbot.com/digitizer. Pre-orders are being taken now, with shipping expected mid-October. Current price is $1,400 plus an optional $150 for MakerBot Digitizer MakerCare, a service and support program.
"Bringing the MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner into the world has been a big goal of ours this year," stated MakerBot CEO Bre Pettis. "We are really excited about the MakerBot Digitizer. This is another innovative product for visionaries, early adopters, experimenters, educators, creative hobbyists, 3D sculptors, organic modelers, designers, and architects who want to be the first to become an expert in Desktop 3D Scanning."
The MakerBot Digitizer takes a real-life object, scans it using a camera and two lasers, and creates a 3D digital file – without any need for design or 3D software experience. The MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner is optimized for and works seamlessly with MakerBot's Replicator Desktop 3D Printers and MakerBot Thingiverse. The MakerBot Digitizer can be used in the office, manufacturing space, workshop, classroom, or in the home to jumpstart the modeling and prototyping process and create artworks, sculptures and figurines, as well as memorializing keepsakes and archiving. Just connect the MakerBot Digitizer to a laptop or computer and you are ready to digitize.
● Simple, yet sophisticated software to create clean, watertight 3D models with just two clicks
● A 3D digital design file in just minutes
● No design skills, 3D modeling or CAD expertise required to get started
● Outputs standard 3D design file formats that can be modified and improved in third-party 3D modeling programs, like Autodesk's free software MeshMixer
● Creates a 3D digital file to be printed on a MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer and on other 3D printers
● Easily upload scans directly to MakerBot's Thingiverse.com, the community for discovering and sharing 3D printable things with more than 100,000 members.
● Ability to digitize physical objects up to 8" in diameter and 8" tall and up to 3 kg (6.6 lbs.)
"We believe that the MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner is an innovative technological breakthrough that sets the standard for affordable desktop 3D scanning," noted Pettis. "We focused on making the MakerBot Digitizer super easy to use, intuitive and simple. The MakerBot Digitizer is powered by MakerBot MakerWare software, and we plan to offer in the future additional software updates that are expected to add even more features and capabilities."