Nest Labs, owned by Google, has unveiled the Nest Cam Outdoor, a new weatherproof security camera for permanent outdoor use.
Customers can keep an eye on their homes 24/7 with full high-definition (1080p) video quality anytime, anywhere and in any weather. Customers also get all the great features Nest Cam Indoor is known for, including activity alerts and Talk and Listen.
• Weatherproof – The weatherproof design of Nest Cam Outdoor meets the demands of a broad range of temperatures and conditions faced by outdoor cameras.
• Easy outdoor setup – Nest Cam Outdoor has a quick, simple setup. Just plug in the cable and adapter, mount the camera, and go. A powerful magnetic base allows people to securely place it in even more locations and capture the view they want.
• Clear 24/7 live video – A 130° view through a high quality glass lens shows the full picture in crisp 1080p HD. When it’s dark, Night Vision illuminates the whole scene with 8 powerful infrared LEDs. And with the Nest app, customers can control and watch live video from anywhere, anytime.
• Secure Streaming – Stream and store video content using powerful encryption technology seamlessly (2048-bit RSA key with 128-bit SSL connection).
• Talk and Listen – See someone at the door, talk back to get their attention thanks to the built in speaker and microphone. Or tell the delivery man to go ahead and leave the package around back.
Nest has also announced Person Alerts for subscribers to the Nest Aware service, allowing Nest Cam to distinguish between a person and another activity and let you know when someone comes into view. Person alerts are the first of a new generation of intelligent alerts from Nest that leverage Google’s expertise in machine learning and powerful algorithms to deliver deeper insights to customers about what’s happening at home. Nest Aware features including person alerts are available on all Nest Cam and Dropcam cameras.
New Nest App:
The fifth generation Nest app for the phone, tablet and computer allowed customers the ability to control all of their Nest products from a single app. Now it’s even easier for customers to control their homes on their devices with the introduction of Spaces. Spaces puts each customer’s home in their hand like never before. It enables them to intuitively see what’s happening with all of their Nest products, organized room by room. Nest has expanded the view for camera feeds to full screen width, so customers can see what’s happening at a glance. And if connected to Wi-Fi, they can see live streams.
Additionally, the redesigned Nest app will unlock new features for current camera customers.
• Secure Private Camera Sharing – Customers can create and share private, password protected livestream links with multiple people, such as close family members who are watching the house for them.
• Auto-bandwidth – Nest is making automatic bandwidth adjustments to match the bandwidth available, to ensure a clean video feed and avoid buffering.
• High resolution (1080p) viewing for Dropcam Pro customers – Available today, Dropcam Pro customers can get high resolution viewing when they upgrade to the new Nest app.
Another notable update in the new Nest app is that it now supports Apple Watch, as well as Android Wear which was released earlier this year, so customers can control the temperature of their Nest Learning Thermostat from their wrist.